Being accused of professional malpractice can be a daunting experience for any professional. There are a variety of different types of legal and other resources professionals facing claims of malpractice can summon in their defense. It is helpful for professionals to be familiar with professional liability insurance and how it can help them.
Benefits and protections of malpractice insurance
There are several different ways a professional liability policy may provide protections and benefits to professionals in a variety of different industry areas including:
- Protections against professional negligence claims;
- Protections for staff and associates;
- Potential risk management resource;
- Legitimacy to clients;
- Fulfill ethical and professional requirements and obligations;
- Cover costs of having independent legal counsel representation; and
- Provide peace of mind for the professional who can then focus on other aspects of their business or practice.
In general, claims of professional malpractice allege the professional provided services that fell below the standard of care common for those types of professional services. Defending against a claim of professional malpractice can be a costly headache and may be a nightmare for many professionals facing one.
Types of professionals who may benefit from protections
Categories of professionals who may benefit from professional liability insurance and other protections include:
- Engineering professionals;
- Legal professionals;
- Accounting professionals;
- Real estate professionals;
- Architecture professionals; and
- Construction professionals.
Professional liability is an important topic for any professional who is providing their services to consider. They should be familiar with different protections available to them, including professional liability insurance and legal representation if they have been accused of professional malpractice.