Trial Attorneys With A Record Of Success In Alaska
John J. Tiemessen
- Professional Malpractice
- Occupational Licensing
- Civil Litigation
- Willamette University College of Law, Juris Doctorate cum laude (1991)
- Arizona State University, B.S. Political Science magna cum laude (1987)
Mr. Tiemessen is a trial lawyer with an emphasis on the defense of professional malpractice and occupational licensing cases. He has successfully tried more than a dozen complex civil jury trials, including matters involving wrongful death and catastrophic injuries with claims in excess of $1 million.
Mr. Tiemessen has lectured on various medical, legal, risk management, and trial practice issues for CNA Insurance Companies, Medical Insurance Exchange of California, NORCAL, The Dentists Insurance Company, the University of Alaska, Alaska Bar Association, Multiple Risk Managers, Inc., Alaska Dental Society, Interior Dental Assistants Society, Tanana Valley Clinic, Sportsmedicine Fairbanks, Fairbanks Clinic, Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, Banner Health, University of Alaska Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Significant Appellate Decisions
- Arnoult v. Webster, LEXIS 66, 2020, Alaska
- Lewis v. Brim, LEXIS 67, 2020, Alaska
- Doan v. Banner Health, Inc., 442 P.3d 706, 2019, Alaska
- Haines v. Comfort Keepers, 393 P.3d 422, 2017, Alaska
- Hymes v. DeRamus, 282 P. 3d 316, 2012, Alaska
- Jones v. Bowie Indus., 282 P.3d 316, 2012, Alaska
- Zaverl v. Hanley, 64 P.3d 809, 2003, Alaska
- Wells v. State, 46 P.3d 967, 2002, Alaska
- Hebert v. Honest Bingo, 18 P.3d 43, 2001, Alaska
- Cable v. Shefchik, 984 P.2d 474, 1999, Alaska
- City of North Pole v. Zabek, 934 P.2d 1292, 1997, Alaska
- Amyot v. Luchini, 932 P.2d 244, 1997, Alaska
- Jaso v. McCarthy, 923 P.2d 795, 1996, Alaska
- The Golden Retriever Rule: Alaska's Identity Privilege for Animal Adoption Agencies and for Adoptive Pet Owners, 21 Alaska Law Review 77, June, 2004
Mr. Tiemessen is admitted to practice in Alaska and before the United States District Court for the District of Alaska.
Western States Bar Conference (President 2010-2011)
Alaska Bar Association Board of Governors 2003-2009; President 2006-2007
Civil Rules Committee; Committee for Reduction of Appellate Delay
Tanana Valley Bar Association (President 1999-2000)
College Rotary Club (President 2002-2003)
Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (2013-Present)
John J. Tiemessen graduated from Willamette University College of Law in 1991 where he served on the Moot Court Board and was selected to the Western Regional Mock Trial team. He started his legal career as an associate for Hughes Thorsness Gantz Powell and Brundin, then the largest law firm in Alaska. Mr. Tiemessen worked as a litigation associate in the Fairbanks office. By 1995, Mr. Tiemessen was serving as the Fairbanks office manager. In 1996, he joined his mentor and expanded the Fairbanks office of what is now Clapp, Peterson, Tiemessen, Thorsness, & Johnson, LLC.
Mr. Tiemessen has been listed among Alaska’s “Superlawyers” since 2007. Mr. Tiemessen served on the Alaska Bar Association, Board of Governors from 2003-2009. He served as President of the Bar Association in 2006-2007. In May 2010, Mr. Tiemessen was appointed to the Alaska Bar Association Discipline Hearing Committee. He served as President of the Western States Bar Conference, a regional association of Bar Associations, in 2010-2011. Mr. Tiemessen also served as President of the Tanana Valley Bar Association in 1999.
As Bar President, Mr. Tiemessen passed the first Mandatory Continuing Legal Education recommendation to the Alaska Supreme Court. This resulted in a mandatory ethics education requirement for all Alaska Attorneys.